Saturday, March 31, 2012

A Pictures Worth A Thousand Words....


I’m watching a reality show about tattoo artist and I have to confess its slightly addicting.  The first “ink” challenge was to perform a cover up. What’s that you ask? A cover up is where the tattoo artist is asked to “cover up” an old tattoo with a new one. From the show it seems that most artists don’t like to do this because of the black ink. And I can’t help but bring this back to writing. I recently sent out a query to an agent that I had done some research on and I felt it was a good choice, but once the query was sent I wished I had added more, done something else to make it pop. I know it’s probably just jitters.  I would like to think it’s my best work, but then again what if it’s not. I’ve only written the darn thing about a thousand times and sent it to Query Shark to be evaluated twice (sadly my query wasn’t picked). I don’t know if this is a good thing or a bad thing. I’d like to think it’s a good thing.

In other news I visited the art gallery yesterday and there were several pieces that I wanted to bring home with me. Thankfully on Fridays the main exhibits are free and this month’s was a display on digital art. There were two pieces that sparked a story. The first was a picture of a little Russian girl. The expression in her face showed defiance of a youth, but the perseverance of an adult. Immediately my mind was taken to a small Russian village where money is tight and choices have to be made in order to survive.

The other photo that intrigued me was taken on the set of an adult film site.  The picture depicted a woman in clothing sitting on a couch with two passed out dudes. One is a large black man and the other a tattooed white guy with his mouth gaping and eyes half open. I’m pretty sure he was stoned out of his mind.  There were naked people in the background along with a camera crew and people sitting in lawn chairs watching. The striking center point of the whole photo was the girl sitting on the couches eyes. They were full of sorrow, or to me they were. It was as if she was saying, “I know, but its money,” It’s almost as if she was ashamed of what she was doing. Maybe that’s what the artist wanted to capture, maybe not, but it definitely inspired me.

We finished dinner at Fitz’s and if you’re ever in the St. Louis Area, drop by the Delmar Loop. It’s filled with awesome little hole in the wall stores and even a great place to people water. For instance there were two guys that were talking on cell phones. One of the guys had a pair of aviators on and it was near dark. So my friends and I decided to make a story.  It was great fun. 

Whats' your story about this picture below???

No comments:

Post a Comment